Wednesday 8 February 2012

Blazing Biographies Part 2

For part of my research I watched Larry Clark's film 'Kids'. It was a rather interesting watch and it was to be expected from what I had read about the film's synopsis. It really had a very raw and one sided view on youth culture, from what I had witnessed in the movie. The characters were young and yet were delving into illegal drug use, which was Larry Clark's theme throughout his work. Despite not being able to relate to any of the characters shown, I didn't feel offended by any of the content within the film, as I understand that youth culture is filled by characters like those depicted. However, I still find that even though the characters were shown this way and it may accurately depict some (or even a majority) of youth culture, not everyone are like those in the film and that I still strongly feel like my project should be based on my own experience with my friends rather than those 'risky' themes that Larry Clark presents in his work.

Although my friends and my life are very different from those in Larry Clark's work may not seem interesting and in comparison may appear 'boring' due to the lack of risktaking involved. However, after watching 'Kids' although I found it to be a good film, I really felt the urge to give Telly a punch and made me feel thankful about my life and the friends that I have. So with this, I wanted to take natural and 'normal', everyday photos of my friends doing things they would usually do. What do me and my friends do for fun people may ask, we don't need to go drinking or take drugs or anything of the sort. Watching something on television, playing games, chatting casually can be just as entertaining if you make it entertaining.
 Here are some photographs that I have taken to document the life of my friends. Although they appear to not be very interesting, I consider them to be art as they are and they are a realistic representation of life around me. These are a few photos which may be used within the photobook.






No comments:

Post a Comment